This route was plotted beginning and ending in Spring Green, WI.
If you prefer, paper maps are available for purchase.
Named for the big bend where the Wisconsin River turns west, this route has something for everyone. It includes twisty roads, elevation changes, a ferry and 3 Wisconsin Rustic Roads. This 270 mile route explores the Driftless Area between Spring Green, Portage, and North Freedom. Make sure you take the time to explore the many parks and other points of interest along the way.
*** NOTE: We have just been informed that there is a bridge out on this route on County U between the town of Merrimac and Interstate 39/94. One possible alternate route is to stay on Highway 78 past Merrimac and rejoin County U after crossing Interstate 39/94.
Click on the link below to download your preferred file (v2.1):.gpx Route File .gpx Track File .gpx Route w/ POI .kmz Route File
Some of the Many Points of Interest
- Baraboo: Circus World Museum, Devil’s Lake State Park, International Crane Foundation, Lower Narrows State Natural Area, Man Mound Park, Sauk County Courthouse, Giant Steer, Giant Moose and Bear Statue, Ringling Theater, International Clown Hall of Fame, Pewitt’s Nest State Natural Area
- North Freedom: Mid-Continent Railway Museum, Natural Bridge State Park, Baxter’s Hollow, Dr. Evermor’s Forevertron
- Sauk City: Ferry Bluff State Natural Area, Wollersheim Winery
- Prairie du Sac: Graff Park and Eagle Island, Fish Lake Park, Salem-Ragatz Historic Church
- Lodi: Gibralter Rock State Natural Area, Lodi Marsh State Natural Area
- Spring Green: Wilson Creek Pottery
- Portage: Giant Farmer Bob, Aldo Leopold Foundation
- Plain: Large Mouse with Cheese
- Merrimac: Merrimac Ferry
- Wisconsin Rustic Roads #21, #49, #110