This route was plotted beginning and ending in Guttenberg, IA.
If you prefer, paper maps are available for purchase.
One of the most prominent features of this route, Pike’s Peak State Park, is named for Zebulon Pike, who most people know from Pike’s Peak in Colorado. This 270 mile route traces the Mississippi River from McGregor to Guttenberg, but the majority of the route travels farther west into the heartland of Iowa. Explore historic Elkader and see the Worlds Largest Strawberry in Strawberry Point. Be sure to plan for a short hike in Pikes Peak State Park, in addition to Bridal Veil Falls, the panorama of the Mississippi River Valley is amazing!
Click on the link below to download your preferred file (v2.0):.gpx Route File .gpx Track File .gpx Route w/ POI .kmz Route File
Some of the Many Points of Interest
- McGregor: Pike’s Peak State Park (Bridal Veil Falls), Spook Cave, Beulah Falls, Froelich Museum
- Gutteberg: Guttenberg Fish Hatchery, Lockmasters House Heritage Museum
- Elkader: Motor Mill Historic Site, Keystone Bridge, Carter House Museum, Table Rock Site of 7/4/1838, Elkader Whitewater Park
- Strawberry Point: Worlds Largest Strawberry, Wilder Memorial Museum
- West Union: Fayette County Historical Society, Fayette County Courthouse, Goeken County Park, Dutton Cave County Park