This route was plotted beginning and ending in Cochrane, WI.
If you prefer, paper maps are available for purchase.
We called this route the Buena Vista Route because it includes a visit to Buena Vista Park outside of Alma, WI. Take the time to drive up into the city park and enjoy the stunning scenery, as this park features the largest natural balcony overlooking the Mississippi River. Visitors can watch barges traveling up the river and locking through Lock & Dam #4, along with views of the sand islands and backwater areas. At approximately 260 miles long, this route, beginning in Cochrane, Wisconsin, explores the Driftless Area South of the Buffalo River and ranges East to the town of Whitehall. Among other sites, this route also makes visits to the Prairie Moon Sculpture, Merrick State Park, and Island Park in Independence.
Click on the link below to download your preferred file (v2.1):.gpx Route File .gpx Track File .gpx Route w/ POI .kmz Route File
Some of the Many Points of Interest
- Fountain City: Rock in the House, Elmers Auto and Toy Museum
- Czechville: Merrick State Park, Prairie Moon Sculpture Garden, Mississippi Thunder Speedway
- Buffalo City: Viking Statue
- Alma: Buena Vista Park, Wings Over Alma, Castlerock Arms and Armory Museum, Buffalo County Courthouse, Riecks Lake Park
- Mondovi: Gilmanton Park
- Independence: Borst Valley Wildlife Area, Island Park